Sunday, December 2, 2012

Yes, I have an opinion. Do you care?

I created a Facebook nearly seven years ago, a very long time ago for someone my age. I was one of the first outside the college community for which it was created. In those seven years, I have watched the Goliath of social networks evolve into the endless abyss of efluvium it has become today. I am finding less and less use for it with each login. I don't care about cats or dogs doing funny things, or people for that matter, or people doing stupid things, or posts that I should share if I really care, or any of the games, or the echain-letters or jokes that have been recycled from the 70s. Perhaps most of all, I am weary of the political and religious aphorisms that require little thought and often have no basis in fact.

I am a learned man. You'll notice I didn't say a smart man. Learned is less subjective. I can objectively share my credentials with you, but in the interest of space and not boring you to tears, I will refrain.Memorizing facts is easy. In fact, there is a school of thought that maintains those whose minds are not cluttered with deep thought find it easier to memorize. I'm not sure I buy that, but it is a school. Nonetheless, deep thought, analysis and critical thinking are not easy. That's why the hoi polloi don't attempt it. Most are too busy finding new funny cat pictures to post. If that sounds condescending, good. I'm angry that more people, at least in this country, don't spend more time in critical thought.

The result is that one's opinions are reduced to the replication of what I like to call bumper-sticker logic. You know what I'm talking about. "Abortion stops a beating heart; Guns don't kill people, people kill people; I'm not rich enough to be a Republican; If you don't believe in God, what if you're wrong?" Ah, if only life were that easy. Life isn't easy, and neither are these issues. They're complex, and require complex thought, preceded by myriad amounts of research. If we were all to invest in that kind of time, a natural discourse would follow that might actually lead to a productive pool of intellectually-founded opinions.

Politicians are likely the most culpable. They are trained by their speech writers to speak in sound bites. While campaigning for the Republican nomination, Rick Santorum proudly proclaimed that cardon dioxide was not dangerous to the ozone. "Just ask the plants." To this day, I am certain he has no idea how sophomoric and insipid that sounds. Nor do the many constituents who cheered his comments. I am not an ecological expert, but I have studied it enough to recognize the absurdity. It's science, not politics. I am picking on Rick Santorum, but I could easily debunk any number of myths propogated by both parties' candidates, speaking about topics on which they haven't a scintilla of expertise.

I, too, have my opinions. Some of them are very potent opinions, based on years of research and contemplation. Friends have asked me, "Why don't you share them then?" I will gladly share my opinions with you if you ask. Just not on Facebook. I can't condense my comments to bumper-sticker size, unless I'm talking about drivers who don't use turn signals or shoppers who pay with a check in the express lane. Those are innocuous topics, and not really controversial.

There are other, more serious topics, that I haven't spent much time researching or comtemplating, simply because they're not important to me. In those cases, I generally withhold my opinion. I might have one, but it serves no purpose to share it if it lacks foundation.

So, I will continue to attempt to add some myrth to the new vaste wasteland that is now Facebook. Maybe it puts a smile on your face, or maybe you just roll your eyes. But I look at it this way. There's sufficient vapidity for all to enjoy. I'll continue to represent the lighter side, and save the heavier discussions for a medium more serious that Facebook.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. When you acquire more information, change your mind sometimes. It's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment