Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A special blog for a high school classmate

Everybody sends flowers, and while they are nice, all you get is a little card to wrap up everything you feel. It's never enough, and neither is this, but it's personal, and it's all I know. This is the old-fashioned kind of verse that rhymes. Forgive me. I'm writing this at four in the morning. I sure hope it makes sense tomorrow.

My Friend Len

It was a long time ago in '72.
You hardly knew me and I barely knew you.
We were two different people from a different walk,
So we would pass in the halls but we'd never talk.
And I never got to know your darling Mary.
In fact all I knew of you was that you were quite hairy. (You may laugh here)
But I remember as I watched you walk off that stage
That somehow inside I knew of your rage.
'Twas injustice you must have felt on that day
The same injustice that takes our loved ones away.
We don't understand why life is so cruel
How we could be robbed of a precious jewel.
We're hurt and confused and feeling quite lost
For we have just paid the ultimate cost.
I've shared the pain that I'm sure you must feel,
A time ago I was handed the same deal.
Like yours my love lived too short a life
My lover, my friend, my soulmate, my wife.
And when I thought I had experienced pain like no other,
Three tiny months later, I said goodbye to my brother.
I don't tell you this to make you more sad
But to offer a hand for the sorrows we've had.
And to tell you that one day your life starts anew
And once again, you must learn what it means to be you.
The dawn will break through to reveal a new day
And you'll think that the sun will not give you a ray.
Just search through the clouds that you see up above,
And remind yourself that you know what it's like to be loved.
I didn't know what kind of love Mary had to give
But I do know that she would want you to live.
Live life as though you had never a care
Knowing your true love will always be there.
The story of Len, Part Two will be told
By meeting new friends or perhaps friends of old.
It may be the best way to honor her wishes
And make up for the times you didn't do dishes. (Feel free to laugh again)
Walk a new pathway, knowing time and again
That I will walk with you, with my old-new friend Len.

5 comments:

  1. I've learned a lot from visiting this social network, about people and their troubles. Whether it was a loss of someone or the diseases we are inflicted with... Lukemia, Cancer.... We are not on this earth for very long, I've learned to forgive and enjoy even the most crappiest of days. Now if you believe this or not, is up to you, but I found out early in life that "GOD will not give you more than you can handle." May GOD Bless us all. Old/New Friend from Class of 72. Wish I knew then who I know now. Thoughts and Prayers are with you Len...You Harry guy.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff & Gary,
    Thanks for the overwhelming support. I too was up at 4:00 in the morning. Probably will be again tonight.
    Jeff, although we didn't talk much in high school and weren't close friends, I always thought of you as a friendly person. In high school that can be a lot. I am awed and thankful for your blog.
    Gary, even though we were in different crowds I still remember hangin' out with you sometime way back in junior high. It might have been running the movie projector during lunch time or some class that I can no longer remember.
    I can still remember both of you after 39 year (had to count on my fingers). Its a pleasure and a blessing to run into people from my past and we still have some kind of relationship. Now it reaches though the ether out there.
    I look forward to being able to take more time with both of you some time soon. I've still got miles to go before I sleep tonight. Life has changed a lot . . .again. Its comforting to know there are people who still remember and care after all these years.

    Len

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jeff......Very thoughtful and well written!

    ReplyDelete